Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Vagina Dialogue or is it Monologue

Now some discourse on Alaine and Tanya Stephens...

Firstly to be honest let's see Alaine, she was ok on the seasons riddim, but I didn't pay her much mind, I made the terrible, and I must admit terrible rash and early judgement that she was just another brown, uptown, dancehall singer act, in the stead of Tami Chynn and Sean Paul (not that I bun SP, never). However, the other day, under a Tamerind tree in my secret places (of the most high) I heard a youngish girl running her album (a bootleg composition no doubt) through her, Cinderalla like window in a board house that has the greatest view of Mobay on Earth, and I realised that she had held her own on riddims 1. mostly dominated by men, and 2. she did it all singing, no likkle sing-jay/deejay business and her content and material was good and legit. In the end mi haffi seh now seh she a one a mi fave female artist... granted she still brown-ish and uptown... and a tad meagre... but right now a she a run the place wid Tanya Stephens as woman artistes... and if its any consolation, maybe mi woulda look ar now that mi see seh she have some substance... yah rite, marginalised young black unemployed males ain't exactly in now, worse dem Ras at that... eh eh!

Next Tanya Stephens... woo, Jah I gave her last album a crucifixion (sorry Speego aka Spliffie aka Mike, Mi know she a yuh fren still), I have it though, bootleg yah! But to be honest I found the first one struck me as a tad (I'm euphamising) insincere and overly didactic and pontificating at times, and it never smoothly approached me with issues intellectually. And I hated "its a pity" for all the women who ever saw me at a dance and said those lines to me. Now this new album, Rebelution(granted I think Yami Bolo had an album by the same name), just by name alone strike me as more creative, an mi honestly feel the creative juices on this one... as a matter of fact this album surprisingly reminds me of the last in a different way, the intellectualism is the same but she seems to have perfected her craft, whatever she was doing prior to this she sorted out the kinks... and for an artiste that I had almost written off she pull mi back in with this album (so u understand why I downloaded it)... and though I doubt she or Alaine will read this, I'd like to offer my sincerest apology fi write unnu off so easy...

"the Rebelutionary album cover"

"Alaine fi all who nuh know ar"

"Finally this R@@$$$ bwoy see wah me a do exclaims Tanya"

"Alaine performing"

"I just post this caah Tanya batty looking round in this and she even has a likkle tummy, maybe she is keeping it real... no anorexic Moggle round 'ere"

1 comment:

Mad Bull said...

Well me love Tanya from before the Gangsta Blues album! She is my favourite woman artiste in music from Jamaica still. Since you say the other lady wicked, I will check her out.