Sunday, September 06, 2026

Say Goodbye to Publisher, My Friend: A Jamaican Graphic Designer Remembers the Hustle

When I heard that Microsoft is finally killing off Publisher next month, I nearly drop my spliff. After 35 years, the little desktop publishing workhorse that helped a whole heap of Caribbean creatives look more professional than we really were is heading to the great recycle bin in the sky.

Back in the day in Jamaica, before Canva made everybody a “designer” overnight, and long before Affinity decided to be free and give us a break, it was Publisher and the CorelDRAW suite that kept the lights on. I downloaded both off Pirate Bay more times than I can count. That is just the reality. When business is slow and a $300 software licence could cover two weeks’ rent plus a little food, you are not buying it legal. You pirate it, you work, you deliver, and you hope the client pays on time. The cinema used to run those long piracy ads with the skull and the “you wouldn’t steal a car” voiceover. We used to laugh in the dark. Brother, we would steal the car, the gas, and the radio if it meant the flyer got done by Friday.

Publisher was special though. It was simple enough that a youth from the country could figure it out without a degree, yet powerful enough to make a church anniversary booklet look like it came from a real print house. I remember one Sunday night, 11:45 pm, the pastor called me frantic: “The programme for the thanksgiving service printed wrong, all the names mash up, and the service is 9 o’clock in the morning!” I fired up Publisher, dragged and dropped, fixed the columns, dropped in the church logo that was somehow still a low-res JPEG from 2007, exported to PDF, and sent it to the printer who opened special for me. By 7 am the programmes were ready. Pastor hugged me like I just saved the whole congregation. That night Publisher earned its keep.

Another time a dancehall artiste needed album artwork and street posters in 48 hours. Budget? “Mi a go pay you when the show done, bredrin.” Classic. I mashed up something clean in Publisher, faked a little gold foil effect that looked expensive on the cheap paper, and the posters still looked sharp under the streetlight. The show sold out. I’m still waiting on the full balance, but that is another story.

We used to pass Publisher files around like mixtapes. Somebody in Kingston had the cracked version with the full template pack, somebody in Montego Bay had the better font collection, and by the end of the week half the island’s graphic designers were running the same setup. It was guerrilla design at its finest. Slow internet, power cut mid-export, virus from the latest “crack,” yet somehow the wedding invitation, the school yearbook, the political campaign flyer, and the Sunday school certificate still came out looking respectable.

Eventually the stress of broken installs, missing features, and the constant fear that the next Windows update would kill the crack pushed me fully open source. Scribus, Inkscape, GIMP, LibreOffice. Steeper learning curve at first, but once you lock it, nobody can take it away, and the only licence you need is your own skill. Still, I have a soft spot for Publisher. It was the first software that made me feel like a real graphic designer instead of just a youth with a computer and big dreams.

So as October comes and Microsoft finally pulls the plug, I’m raising a glass to the little app that carried so many of us through the lean years. It wasn’t perfect, it wasn’t legal half the time, but in the Caribbean hustle it was family. Rest easy, Publisher. You did your work. We salute you!!!

No comments: